Is feminine style limited to small and short women?
My style is feminine elegant. I am 5ft 7ins tall.
Why are feminine women always supposed to be small/short? Any sites about style on the web say feminine is small.
I am average sized and 72yrs of age.
Jane's answer... Diana, how wonderful that you can state your personal style! So many women can't. When you can express in words how you want to look it's so much easier to recognize when clothes, accessories and outfits will work for you and make you happy.
Let me assure you that feminine style doesn't have to mean small or short! And lucky you for being tall, especially at your age. It means you have more clothing choices available to you.
What message does feminine convey?
When we think of the positive aspects of what being feminine
means we typically come up with attributes such as: nurturing; caring; approachable; friendly; warm; soft; empathetic; romantic.
By contrast masculine conjurs attributes such as: strong; direct; assertive; purposeful.
What is feminine style?
There are many ways to reflect feminine elements within our outfits. Feminine style elements include:
- Patterns: florals; paisley; subtle patterns; small patterns
- Lines: curves
- Colors: soft colors, especially pinks and pastels; medium to low color values; medium to low contrast
- Fabrics: soft and flowing
- Silhouettes: hourglass, fit and flare; soft and flowing
- Style elements: ruffles; soft bows
- Clothing items: dresses; skirts; flowing pants; blouses; cardigans; soft tailoring
- Grooming: long hair; curly hair; light makeup
- Accessories: delicate looking; pearls; curved or floral designs; hearts; flowing scarves; delicate looking shoes, almond or rounded toes
What others can you think of?
Using feminine style elements in your outfits
When you want to express feminine elements in your personal style you don't have to go all out feminine. In fact, it's a good idea not to!
Identify the feminine elements that you love (the patterns, colors, fabrics, silhouettes, clothing items and so on). Then check your outfits to make sure you've included at least of few of these in every outfit.
Since you've identified your style as feminine elegant
I suspect you'll opt for more restrained styles. Such as:
- Not too many ruffles or frills, or exaggerated styling details
- Lighter colors (what suits you best will depend on your coloring)
- You may prefer solid colors to patterns
Examples of feminine elegant outfits
Here are 3 example outfits. Though please understand I've put these together without understanding quite enough about your personal preferences, your body proportions, or your coloring. However, I hope they'll give you some ideas and inspire you.